Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A Christian Nation

Howdy! I've been hearing a lot lately about evangelical Christians and their attempts to "reclaim America for Christ" and how we here in the US should be "a Christian Nation".I have found the notion of "a Christian Nation" frightening but I've been thinking about what kind of nation that could be if it was Christian at its best.Jesus, according to the Gospel of Matthew, describes the way he'd like to see our society. And, truth be told, it's rather attractive. Shortly before his death he describes the judgement of humanity when the end comes.
The Sovereign will say to those on the right: "Come You have my Parents' blessing! Inherit the the realm prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me. I was ill and you comforted me, in prison and you came to visit me." Then the just will ask: "When did we see you hungry and feed you or see you thirsty and give you drink? When did we welcome you away from home or clothe you in your nakedness? When did we nurse you when you were ill or visit you in prison?" The Soverign will answer them: "I assure you, as often as you did it for one of my little sisters and brothers, you did it for me." Matthew 25:34-39 (NAB inclusified)
Just try to imagine what America would be like if our government was based on these principles
We would have programs to feed the country, no child would go to bed hungry. Everyone would start the day with a good breakfast.
0We would have clean water because the government would insist the polluters clean up their messes.
We would welcome emigrants and refugees as well as the undocumented workers.
Workers would have safe and healthy working conditions just as a matter of course.
We would have a national health care system that really works and a prison system that is based on rehabilitation and not revenge.
Funny, I can't imagine this a world like this. Perhaps I've lost hope......

No comments: